Sunday 12 May 2013

I LOVE BAJS..

This was my first print of the year. At this point in the year I was unsure what project I wanted to do over the year. So I did this piece as a way to experiment with a few ideas and get some work done while I was deciding how to progress.
I started by taking this sketch from my sketch book which I had intended to use for my side-project 'Bajs'. Me and a friend have started a little t-shirt company where we make and print our own t-shirts. 
The concept behind the piece was some kind of poster design. But as I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for my project over the year, what I really wanted from this piece was to experiment with something that I hadn't tried before.
After tidying up and penning my image I scanned it in and using Illustrator I tried out different colour possibilities for the print. With this piece I wanted to try and create something that looked good while only using a few colours. As recently I have been thinking a lot about how artists, for example Drew Millward, who often when printing only uses a few different colours, but still achieves an impressive outcome. As well as this I also wanted to try using a block of colour as a background.
During the printing process I decided to change from the dark red to a lighter yellow as it made it much easier to registrate as it meant that I could print over the top of the background rather then laying it on later. I found that using less layers makes it much easier to reigistrate successfully therefore giving a nice clean image which of course looks good. I also thought that having a block of colour was really nice as it really made the rest of the image pop especially with a light colour for the background as well as giving a framing effect and creating a much more finished element within the piece. 



No comments:

Post a Comment