Sunday 12 May 2013

White Fang

'White Fang' by Jack London first published in 1906. The story follows a half wild wolf dog, from a somewhat canine perspective allowing London to think about life from an animals point of view, how the view the world and how the view humanity. As well as as this I think the book definitely explores ideas or morality, loyalty and redemption.

I started this piece by drawing a wolfs head which I developed using source material although as well as this I think I was influenced stylistically by all the wolves that I regularly see in tattoos and other media. Fur is always something that I have struggled to draw as I have found that it can be difficult to replicate the way that fur hangs as well as its softness.
I then traced the image further developing the wolf, I ended up losing about half the hair on the sides of the wolf's face. As well as this I added a mountain range and a moon for the background as I thought these two things really helped to represent the book. Once my drawing was complete I used my old method of creating layers as I planned to print on to black paper and therefore wanted to leave gaps where black should be within the image. 

I thought this piece looked really good on black paper and I was pleased that this experiment had worked as I wasn't sure what my colours would turn out like on black paper. Using my old technique was effective in that as I wanted it to it left gaps for where I wanted my black areas to be withing the image, although it made it slightly more difficult to registrate. I feel this image is a good example of how my drawing skill has improved slightly over the year as well as my screen printing ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment